Thursday, June 25, 2015

Healthy Summer Camps

It is almost time for kids to go to Summer Camp.  Working with schools to make sure your kids get treated well in regards to food sensitivity can be a challenge.  Trying to do the same thing for Summer Camp has similar obstacles.

Sometimes you have to start all over in many cases.  Summer camps are not necessarily run by the schools, and even if they are it is most likely a different set of people.  College and high school kids volunteer to be camp councilors.  These are not the teachers you are used to dealing with.  So it is time to be patient and explain the situation all over again.  So at camp that weekly pizza day means either your kids miss out or the place has to find gluten free pizza.  Either case makes me worry about stigmatizing my kids.  They are special to me but I don't want them singled out for a special table.

One good thing is often I have to provide the lunches and snacks.  I can have a bit more control of what they eat.  A downside is they may be sent to a special table.  I can guess this as the camp already notified me of peanut allergies.  Nothing with nuts should be sent with the kids.  Fair enough.  It also means the peanut kids will probably eat at their own table in case a parent doesn't want to heed that warning.  That's going to be an issue if the kids start to feel second class while at camp.

I imagine there are camps for kids dedicated to healthy living.  They probably have only lactose free cheese and milk, no nuts of any kind, only gluten free products, plenty of spring water fresh from the ground, and everything is organic.  But I do not live in that Vermont commune and one of those camps isn't near me.

I, like every other parent, have to deal with what we have available.  Summer Camp is supposed to be a place of fun and adventure, exploring outdoors and trying to make being away from school last forever.  But when there are food sensitivities/allergies involved someone has to be on the look out.  That random ice cream truck can ruin a day.  Schools are getting better with food concerns, camps may be catching up too, but for now healthy living means being vigilant, even in the lazy days of Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment