Monday, June 29, 2015

Gluten or other?

One of the hardest parts of living with a good diet is figuring out just what is good.  I went gluten free and so far it is working well, health wise.  I still can't pass a Dunkin Donut without wanting to buy a dozen.  There are still days of dubious comfort but I will say the days are better now compared to last year.

It is the topic for a different post but I imagine that much of this feeling better is a result of having invested so much personally into going gluten free.  I feel better because it would be pointless if I didn't.  Why put myself through all this if nothing changed?  Call it a dietary placebo effect.  It certainly sounds like good grounds for scientific study.  What part of improvement of health comes from actual changes to diet opposed to the believe the changes will improve overall well being?

That will take some thinking, time, and googling to get an opinion.  But when changing diet I was recommended a process I did not follow.  I was supposed to basically cut out anything and everything that could possibly cause a problem; gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar, carbs, you name it.  I should have been sitting in a corner gnawing on some blanched chicken five times a day.  Do that for a month till you're purged then add back one thing at a time for a week at a time and see how it goes.  That would have been very scientific and I am sure very helpful.  It also sounded dreadfully dull and rather painful to do.  So I didn't.  Now I am coming to the conclusion that there may be more than one malefactor in my diet.  The evil Lord Gluten may have a sinister companion, the Lady Lactose.

It could be one, or the other, or both, that creates great discomfort and horrible moods.  The one way to find out is to give up lactose.  No milk, not a big sacrifice as I do not like milk, no cheese (sorry, pizza) or other dairy containing stuff, read ice cream.  After seeing how things work out I can try and add it back in.  Or I can cheat.  Unlike gluten, lactose has a pill.  Its over-the-counter so who know how well it works, but it is a start.

Saying you're allergic to food is like saying you're allergic to every organic molecule.  It is just too much.  So despite all the pain-in-the-(neck) bother narrowing it down is the best thing.  I have my suspicions.  Now it is time to confirm them.  You can't just shove food in your mouth anymore.  Time to think about things, and once the one or two offenders are identified, then shove the rest into your mouth.  (not recommended but after all the experimentation the treat may feel satisfying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment