Thursday, May 21, 2015

trying to get some coffee

I tweeted this but think it is funny and astonishing.  I used to love Dunkin Donuts.  I'm not a huge coffee drinker - I can take decaf but that's about it.  And Dunkins has a thing where it's just give me a medium regular, or I'll take a large decaf ice regular.  That's how you order.  No foreign terms, and they add cream and sugar (the 'regular' means a set amount of cream and sugar depending on the size, for the coffee ignorant like me).  And it's great.  Given a no gluten diet I have not indulged in doughnuts much. (I have found gluten free doughnuts that are good but that's another story)

Making a long story short, I order an ice coffee and then ask if they have anything that is gluten free. It was admittedly a long shot but I was hungry. The answer I got stunned me for a second.  The woman looked at me like I had three heads and replied, "No.  No free.  You have to pay."  When asked again she just looked to a coworker.  I didn't press the point and just got my coffee.

The Boston area is getting rather good for eating out and being gluten intolerant, but it apparently has a long way to go for fast food.  It doesn't do the public much good making establishments put up the signs saying, "Please inform your server if any of your party has food allergies." when the staff doesn't know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment